I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker & a therapist practicing in Pasadena, CA. I have over 20 years of experience working with children and families, privately, in treatment programs, and at mental health agencies. After working in the field for several years I wanted to understand people better — to have a deeper understanding of the psyche and of personality structure and to help people make more lasting change. A few years ago, I began taking courses at LAISPS (Los Angeles Institute and Society for Psychoanalytic Studies).
This led to enrolling as a candidate for training to be a certified psychoanalyst. I began my studies in October 2018 and am currently in the process of studying the art & science of psychoanalysis, which involves coursework, infant observation, supervised control cases, and my own analysis.
I currently spend part of my professional time working at a treatment program for teens & young adults with emotional and behavioral problems who also struggle with drug & alcohol use and family problems. I run groups on everything from improving emotional regulation to understanding their decision-making process and how they can be accountable for their actions. I have extensive training in evidenced-based treatments to heal trauma and have facilitated therapeutic groups for kids and women in domestic violence situations.
I have always enjoyed working with adolescents and their families. Despite the tension & conflict, and the challenging developmental stage, most teens want to be understood by their families and most families want to be closer to their teenagers. While I work with teens individually, I also believe in the healing power of the family and therefore work with their parents and anyone else in their support system who can be helpful in solving problems. I work to help the family get closer and solve the problems with their own strengths and resources.
- Masters in Social Work, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Bachelors of Art in Psychology, St. Mary’s College, Moraga, CA
On a more personal note:
- I grew up in Pasadena and am part of a large family who has long-standing connection to this community. I am an alum of Mayfield Senior School that helped me through my teenage years!
- I am a candidate at the Los Angeles Institute and Society for Psychoanalytic Studies to become a psychoanalyst
- I have a second degree black belt in karate and spent a good portion of my adult years teaching and fighting in tournaments
- I am now an ardent tennis player and play competitively in local leagues
- My puppy Griffin often joins me at the office and serves as a wonderful therapy dog