I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker & a therapist practicing in Pasadena, CA. I work primarily with adolescents and their families, but I work individually with adults as well. I have over 20 years of experience working with children and families – privately, in treatment programs and at mental health agencies. My approach has been shaped by many years of psycho-drama training as well as psychoanalytic training, which includes understanding how our most important early relationships have shaped us, how we relate to others, and how we can understand & accept all parts of self.
I currently spend part of my professional time working at a treatment program for teens & adults with emotional and behavioral problems who also struggle with drug & alcohol use and family problems. I run groups on everything from improving emotional regulation to understanding their decision-making process and how they can be accountable for their actions. I have extensive training in evidenced-based treatments to heal trauma and have facilitated therapeutic groups for kids and women in domestic violence situations.
I have always enjoy working with adolescents and their families. Despite the tension & conflict, and the challenging developmental stage, most teens want to be understood by their families and most families want to be closer to their teenagers. While I work with teens individually, I also believe in the healing power of the family and therefore work with their parents and anyone else in their support system who can be helpful in solving problems. I work to help the family get closer and solve the problems with their own strengths and resources.
I work with teenagers on underlying problems (e.g., depression, self-harm, excessive anger) and help them negotiate what they want without acting out or shutting down. And I work with parents on finding effective strategies to deal with acting out behaviors so they may connect with their child again and support them through the tough times.
- Masters in Social Work, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Bachelors of Art in Psychology, St. Mary’s College, Moraga, CA
On a more personal note:
- I grew up in Pasadena and am part of a large family who has long-standing connection to this community. I am an alum of Mayfield Senior School that helped me through my teenage years!
- I have a second degree black belt in karate and for many years fought in tournaments and taught both kids and adults in LA and New York.
- I just completed a one year psychoanalytic program at the Los Angeles Institute and Society for Psychoanalytic Studies.
- I am an ardent tennis player now and play competitively in local leagues
- My puppy Griffin often joins me at the office and serves as a wonderful therapy dog